Further Developments

How much further can the Mini OLTC be pushed before it self-destructs?

To get this improvement, I did several things. First was to stick on a little carved wood "OLTC" sign (thank you Terry Fritz for this fine item). Second was to replace the charging choke with a much smaller unit: 6mH as opposed to 3H. The new choke had lower resistance (0.8 Ohm vs. 33 Ohm) so reduced losses. Also the smaller inductance led to a fierce kickback effect that raised the charging voltage from 550V to 620V.

Then I relocated the breakout from the side to the top, in hope that the rising hot air would pull the discharge out a bit longer.

Finally, to add insult to injury, I plugged it into a variac and cranked it up to 270V rather than 240. That brought the charging voltage up to 700V, which is about as much as I dare go, since the transzorbs start to clamp at 800V... and the IGBTs explode at 900. As a half-hearted protective measure I set up a large muffin fan to cool all the primary components.

Then I turned the controller up to the maximum 1200bps and let it rip. 13.5 inch white-hot arcs to ground, 10" streamers into air, and a terrible screaming noise, were the result. In the picture above, you can see both arcs and streamers. It's a 0.75 sec exposure due to the high arc brightness.

From here on, the way forward is a single turn Litz primary, double the tank capacity, and four IGBTs instead of two. That should see us to 19" unless the secondary goes on fire or something equally horrific.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Back to TC page